Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rose Petal Jelly

Here is a deliciously simple recipe to use locally available produce! 

Rose petal jelly tastes like spring in full bloom. It has a sweet  light lemon flavor followed with a gentle floral note from the rose petals. It is quite simply one of the most delightful jellies I have tasted. I have been eating it straight out of the jar (with a spoon of course :p) until I can get around to using it in a cake. YUM!  
You will need to use organic roses that have not been sprayed with any chemicals. I found these in my friends yard. Use the most fragrant roses you can find for the best flavor.
This recipe will easily adapt to any herb or edible flower. Lemon balm, violets, or nasturtiums would be wonderful.
Rose Petal Jelly
3-4 cups of packed rose petals - free of bugs
4 cups of water
4 cups sugar
Juice of one lemon
 1 box of pectin
 Sterilized jars (I got 4 and 1/2 8oz jars)
1.  Place rose petals in a large sauce pan, cover with water. Bring to boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Turn off heat and cover with lid. Allow to steep for 60 minutes. .
2.  When rose water has steeped, strain and press out liquid.
3.  Add the juice of one lemon and watch the murky brownish-pink water turn bright pink Its Magic!
4.  Pour back into sauce pan and turn heat on high.  Stir in pectin and stir until dissolved.
5.  Add sugar to boiling mixture. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
6.  Transfer the jelly to hot, sterilized glasses and seal according to manufacturer’s suggestions.

I use a water canner. Fill the canner with enough water to cover your jars of jelly by at least one inch and start heating the water. Place your sealed jars of jelly in the canner and bring to a boil, close the lid, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from the canner and place on a kitchen towel to cool. You should hear "PING" from each of the jars indicating a vacuum seal.  You can also press a finger on the lid to see if it gives to the pressure. If it does you can either reprocess the jar of put in the refrigerator. Theses should keep up to 2 years in a cabinet or up to two week refrigerated once opened.
This jelly would be great as the filling for a cake or macaron. You can also make a syrup by omitting the pectin and use that for a Rose Petal Martini - dressed up with sugared rose petals. For those of you who do not drink martinis the syrup can be used in carbonated water for a home made soda.

7 comments:

Pam said...

This sounds delicious. I've never heard of it before and must try it without the bugs. Thanks for the interesting recipe!

Moogie said...

Beautiful!!!!

Jo said...

Hmm this sounds like a really delicate and delicious jelly. I don't think I've ever seen this before.

Stephanie said...

The last line of step one is add the mint, I don't see mint listed in ingredients. How much mint? Is it optional?

Thank you, this looks lovely. I am wondering about using the yellow roses we have :)

symphonious sweets said...

The mint is optional. I tried it and thought it overpowered the rose flavor. I used a tablespoon.

lørð$kørþîû$ said...

You can apply rose water, skin, besides being very fragrant and pleasant
has some properties that help dry skin.
* Here I found something I found interesting, I see that quote to say ...

EL AGUA DE ROSAS "ROSE" refreshes, moisturizes and softens the piel.TIENE PROPERTIES
Softening, which is very suitable for dry and sensitive skin.
Purification and astringent, is very popular with oily skin.
For anti-wrinkle and firming is ideal for skin lacking firmness. Its aroma is fresh and relaxing.
read more here http://www.bestbioshop.com/products/Rose-Water.html

greetings =)

symphonious sweets said...

Thanks for the tip on uses for rose water. I use plants whenever I can. I bet this smells lovely and feels great on the skin.