Sunday, May 9, 2010

Chickens can fly!


I have some sad news to share today.
I lost one of my chickens- Amanda.
She escaped her chicken yard by flying over a 5 foot fence.
Scout was on hand and... well.
Chickens sound and look a lot like squeaky toys. 
Once she stopped squeaking he came and got me with a worried look.
After talking with a friend who has raised chickens I found out chickens can fly. She had chicks escaping a 10ft fence! 
Dewella and Ezmeralda marmalade are a little depressed. I clipped both of their wings this afternoon and gave lots of treats to cheer them up. I had no idea chickens could get so sad. They really have so much more personality than I expected.

4 comments:

Future Grown-Up said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Amanda. She sounded like a sweet little chicken.

Elina said...

Oh man, that is sad. :(

Trina S. said...

so sorry for your lose, that is not a great way to start the week, I hope the sun shines on you!
Trina
www.mommeville.com

MarieCW said...

I'm late reading this, but wanted to also express my sympathies. It's never easy to lose anyone you care about, and it's good you were there for your other gals. They teach us so much, don't they?