Monday, February 8, 2010

Orange Chiffon Cake



Chiffon is one of my favorite cakes to bake and any sort of citrus flavor is sure to be a hit at my house. I have made  Raspberry Chiffon and Lemon Chiffon and decided it was time for orange to make an appearance here at Symphonious Sweets. I have made this cake many times but, never able to just leave a good recipe alone, I decided to try something a little different. The Raspberry Chiffon recipe actually calls for a box of sugar free raspberry gelatin so I thought why not pump up the orange flavor and color with some orange jello.
In my first attempt I forgot the oil... this is bad. A chiffon cake needs the oil to tenderize the crumb. I tasted a couple of slices and even though the flavor was pretty good the texture was like eating a sea sponge. At least that is how I remember sea sponges!  So remember the oil is very important!
Recipe Orange Chiffon when you have no Oranges!
Ingredients
2 cups All-purpose Flour or 2 cups and 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 1/2 cups White Sugar- I use bakers sugar
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 small pkg. Sugar-Free orange Gelatin (Jell-O)
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
8 Large Eggs, separated
1 cup Cold Water
1 tablespoon orange Extract
1 vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar

Preparation
Adjust rack to lower middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 325°.
Wash a 10” angel food tube pan in hot soapy water to ensure it is grease free. A dash of vinegar wiped in the pan with a paper towel  works well for removing grease. I usually use this trick when whipping egg whites.

Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and gelatin into a deep mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Make a well and add oil, egg yolks, water and orange extract in order given. Don’t beat yet.( I did not do this in order and it came out fine)
In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
Now beat egg yolk batter until smooth and light, then pour over egg whites. Fold in with a rubber spatula (try not to stir, using only a folding technique until well combined).
Bake for 55 – 60 minutes, or until done (it will feel solid when tapped and a pick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs). Cover loosely with foil should the top darken.
Remove from oven and hang upside down on a bottle until cool-about 1 ½ hrs. .

 Slice shots

 oh the drips! 

4 comments:

Moogie said...

Super delicious looking. Also, I love your milk glass cake stand. I collect milk glass. I have many Westmoreland Glass pieces and some Fenton.

Nina said...

Wow, this cake looks amazingly delicious! Beautirul photots, too. Love orange cake--am definitely going to have to make this one. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

sofia said...

This cake looks delicious. I think I am going to try this cake soon.
I have to make two cakes for a friend this friday. I think this maybe one of them. Yummm.

Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

Snooky doodle said...

wow what perfect cake!