Thursday, January 28, 2010

Horse care options




Here is a question to any other horse owners out there...
My horse has always been boarded and now I may have the opportunity to have him home with me. What do you think the pros and cons are for each situation? Since I have never had him at home I am really curious to hear from those of you who have moved your horses home and how that compares to having them boarded.
I have boarded at a variety of barns and know first hand the downside of barn gossip, injuries, and bad barn management from owners more concerned about taking your money than caring for your horse. On the plus side boarding offers me the opportunity to go shopping after work, sleep in late, and take an occasional vacation.
Anything I should or you would look for when moving your horse? either to a new barn or to your own? What is the most important issue when taking care of your own horse?
My horse is going to be 25 this year and I really feel like I miss so much having someone else care for him.
PS the photo is not my horse but a very close resemblance if you add some mud!

3 comments:

bella said...

Having had our horses boarded and now living with us on our acreage for the last 5 years, I wouldn't change a thing! I could never return to boarding a horse. I never had the perfect scenario and money was always on the forefront of the numerous boarders I tried. It is such a wonderful treat to see my horses greet me in the morning and when I come home from work. We still travel, but hire a house sitter to watch our 3 horses, 3 dogs, and 3 cats for $40 a day (staying overnight). We don't travel to rich destinations because our richness is here on our farm. What you save in boarding fees, is what you would pay your horse/farm sitter. I hope you make the right choice....your horses need YOU and the best personal care that only you can give them and no one else can! Roz

symphonious sweets said...

Roz,
Thank you so much for your reply. As I read this I know it is the right thing to do! I am certain that the more I center my life around my horse the more magic and beauty comes my way! Your feed back is just the encouragement I needed, thanks!
Katie

oregonsunshine said...

I have to say that I agree with Roz. So much so that even though we're moving from our farm here in Newberg to start a new adventure in Atlanta, we are renting a small farm until we find our perfect acreage there. We considered boarding Casey, but I really love having him at home where it's easy for me to watch over him and spend time with him whenever I want. Plus, some boarding facilities have weird rules, like how often you can strip a stall or how deeply you can bed your horses. Having him at home means I can make my own rules. I can visit him at midnight if I so choose (and he doesn't mind). Also, our expenses have gone down by having him at home. It was a good decision.