Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cake Slice Bakers: Cinnamon-Pecan Coffee Cake

The Cake Slice Bakers' have selected a new cook book to bake from for the next year. Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations by Nancie McDermott. 
I have had this book for awhile and have turned out some pretty impressive desserts like this , this and  this, so I was super excited to have this book become our group baking guide. This is one of those cookbooks that I have  full of bookmarded pages. There are so many great recipes and stories.  If you don't have it I highly recommend it. 


So our first selection is the Cinnamon- Pecan Coffee Cake. I traded out some of the cinnamon for cardomon and apples for the raisons. This is a really moiste and buttery cake. The brown sugar, spices, nuts, and fruit are crumbles in between layers of batter with some butter and sprinkled on top. This cake is GOOOOD! The crunchy sweet topping plays nicely with the cake. I think you could do endless versions of fruit, nuts and spices with this recipe. 


My cake did not come out very pretty... I tried to half the recipe and thought there was not evough batter for an 8x8 pan so I switched to a 6 inch round pan... big mistake! but, still tastey! I don't know why I cant just follow a recipe as is. Most of my middle layer of nuts, fruit, and brown sugar erupted though the top for a massive oven boil over. The rest somehow settled on the bottom of the pan in a sticky pool. 


Keep in mind this did not prevent me from eating this cake in any way! 
This post is being automatically posted since I am visiting family. I hope all your cakes came out beautifully! I can't wait to see them when I get back! Don't forget to visit the other Cake Slice Bakers to view more coffee cakes!




10 comments:

Jo said...

Great job on your coffee cake and I agree with you that it was delicious.

Monica H said...

I bet your addition of the apples made this cake really tasty. great job!

Katie said...

Your cake looks wonderful and I adore the idea of adding apples

Rachel said...

Adding apples is neat! Mine didn't look pretty either but the taste was really something...

Joy said...

Hi Katie!

I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself- My name is Joy and I’m one of the newbie Cake Slice bakers. I’m really looking forward to meeting other members, and I hope to have the chance to get to know you better as we bake our way through Southern Cakes :)

You coffee cake looks absolutely delicious and I love your creative substitutions of cardamom and apples- I think I'll have to give that variation a try. I'm really glad to hear that you've had success with other recipes in this book too... I can't wait to try the next 11 cakes we have left to go!

If you have a chance, I’d love for you to stop by my blog, “Hot Oven, Warm Heart,” and say hello- it’d be wonderful to hear from you!

Hope you have a great rest of your visit with your family and a relaxing weekend!

Fondly,
Joy
http://hotovenwarmheart.wordpress.com/

Sandi Oh said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog...yeah, I made that Halloween cake...it was sooo much fun. I think I might even do another one for the actual day!
Your coffee cake looked yummy, and the substitutions sounded fab...Can't wait to do next months.
Sandi Oh

Allison said...

I love your idea of using cardamom with the cinammon. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. I bet it was delicious!

thereddeer said...

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

natalia said...

Ciao ! I love your mini shape !!

lasinthekitchen said...

Apples sound like a perfect match with the cinnamon/pecan mixture! Your cake looks so yummy! I like the explosion, I'm sure it must have tasted really great (the oven mess not so much though...)!