Sunday, September 27, 2009

French Apple Tart



I am a member of a book of the month club. My intention was to join for the free books, pay for my 3 required books, and get the heck out! The problem friends, is that it isn't just ANY book club it is a COOK BOOK book club. What was I thinking!?


Well, I thought I was just about done falling for their tricks with big discounts and member only offers when a featured selection ended up at my house. The book is "Baking" by James Peterson. I LOVE this book! I know it was an oversight that it got sent to me but now that I have it and have drooled all over the 100's of photos... well I think it was ment to be mine.


In celebration of the beginnings of apple season AND my newest baking cookbook I have prepared my first ever french apple tart. You know I think Im gonna like this James guy if all his recipes are this good!


I used local apples- a mix of gravensteins and liberty apples. Now that I have made this tart... and I will make it again... and again.

I cant help but notice how many overburdened apple trees are around my neighborhood. hmmm.

As a bonus for this recipe you make 1/2 of your apples into an applesauce to use as your base layer in the tart. This applesauce is really good! I never knew it could taste so fresh and appley .  I can not believe how easy it is. Why haven't I done this before? Geez, I really need to learn how to do some canning.  I will definitely need to make some more home made applesauce.


Not too bad on the pattern, but, better make another just to practice. Yum, Practice!

Classic French Apple Tart By James Peterson
4 pounds apples- tart apples for baking
1/2 lemon
1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon to sprinkle over top of tart
1 vanilla bean- optional- I skipped this my beans are too preciouse!
1/2 cup water
1 recipe sweetened or unsweetened basic tart dough
3 tablespoons butter melted
2 tablespoons hot apricot glaze

Peel, halve and core your apple and rub the halves with the lemon. Squeeze the juice out of the lemon into a wide pan or pot. cut half of the apple halves into 1/3 inch cubes and put them in the pan with the lemon juice. Add the 1/2 cup sugar, the vanilla bean, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring with a rubber spatula, for about 15 minutes, or until the apples soften and all the liquid they release evaporates. Let cool. Slice the remaining apples as thin as you can.
Preheat oven to 375F. Use a 9-10 inch tart pan. Roll the dough into a round 2 inches larger than the pan and use it to line the pan. Spread the cooked apple mixture in the pan and press the sliced apple halves together in your hands to get them to fan out slightly. Arrange them around the sides of the tart, with the fanned end up against the sides of the tart, fitting extra slices in here and there to make them even. Place some broken-up apple slices- use the small end pieces- in the middle of the tart to mound up the apples that are arranged in the middle. Make another ring of apple slices inside the first but facing in the opposite direction. Use a few apple sliced for the tiny round in the middle. Brush generously with the melted butter and sprinkle the 1 tablespoon sugar over all. bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Brush with the glaze with the tart is still hot.
NOTE- My apples stated to burn in the middle mound so I put a little foil tent over them and continues baking. Just be sure you check after 15 minutes or so and then again to make sure yours don't burn!
I did not include a dough recipe because I had problems- not sure if it was me or what.





and just look at this crust.. I am always so afraid of making my own but, this is pretty good stuff!
Maybe the book of the month club isn't such a bad thing! 

4 comments:

Moogie said...

Hey, I finally signed up to be one of your followers. Also thank you for posting the apron that you won.
Moogie

Mini Baker said...

that tart looks killer! Just found your blog and I love it! I'll be stopping by often :)
-Mini Baker

Mini Baker said...

that tart looks killer! Just found your blog and I love it! I'll be stopping by often :)
-Mini Baker

The Bahens said...

Lovely apple tart! And the picture of a single apple is just beautiful! About the local flour: it was a little, tiny bit weird. But it's not like I'm a flour expert or anything, so who knows if it was the right kind or anything. We used it in the pot pie crust and to thicken the filling, and my friend used some to make the crust on her apple pandowdy. I didn't notice anything off about the finished products. I have tons of wheat berries left; let me know if you want some. I'm happy to share. :)