Sunday, July 26, 2009

Malted Waffles


I have been trying all sorts of waffle recipes. Yeasted, overnight, beaten egg whites, lemon, buttermilk, quick and easy, long and drawn out... the results were good but, not really blog worthy. My Waffle iron found a new home on a lonely shelf. I began to obsess about other recipes (see Pound cakes!). Then one glorious afternoon I took a trip to the wine country.  I was perusing the brunch menu when  stumbled upon this description at King's Estates restaurant:

"Malted Waffles with Orange butter, organic maple syrup and estate grown berries"

Cue angelic choir....

Is that strange to quote a menu?! Can you believe I. did. not. even order these? I know!

Well I may not have had them at the winery but I had them securely set in my file of things to try at home. I finally got around to it today. I found a recipe by google-ing on a couple of blogs. The recipe seems to be the same so I'm not really sure who started it or who to credit but Real Mom Kitchen was the first to catch my eye.  I veered off the recipe a bit... I just beat the egg in the milk. In previous attempts at waffles the separated beaten egg white did not stand out enough  to dirty more dishes. 

I'm happy to report that these are really easy and very tasty. I love the malt flavor. A few tweaks for my own personal taste would be More Malt! and a hint of vanilla. If your feeling really randy make the orange butter and you can have a brunch worthy of edible poetry worth quoting. 

Malted Waffles

from Real Mom Kitchen

1 egg, separated (room temp) - I did not do this
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons malted milk powder- more more more
3/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Vanilla?

Beat egg white in a small bowl until stiff and set aside. Mix together dry ingredients and set aside. Combine egg yolk, milk and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, mixing until just blended. Fold in beaten egg white until just mixed. Do not overbeat batter. NOTE: Use in your waffle iron according to your mfg's instructions.

Orange Butter

from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking

1/2 cup butter (unsalted)

2 tablespoons brown sugar packed

zest of  1 orange

2 tablespoons orange juice

Beat the butter with the brown sugar until it's soft and creamy. Beat in the orange zest and juice until light.  Serve over warm malted waffles.



No comments: