Sunday, July 5, 2009

Green Tea Lime bars


These are gooood! They are tart and sweet with an earthy undertone from the matcha (green tea powder). I made these in the morning and took them to a 4th of July party later that evening. I am happy to say they all disappeared way before the fireworks started!

I found the recipe on sophitimoms site and made some adjustments. The green tea is really subtle (undetectable) in this so if you really want the flavor to come forward increase the amount of matcha. I originally thought to add it to make the bars more green than yellow. I ended up with kind of an algae green... not the most appetizing but with a sprinkle of powdered sugar the bars looked great. I think you could add a little less matcha for a lighter green color if algae green doesn't work for you ;).

Green tea lime bars found on sophitimom's blog and adapted

For the crust:
1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup (55g) powdered sugar
1 cup (150g) of unbleached all-purpose flour


For the filling:
1 1/2 cups (330g) superfine sugar (or regular granulated)
3 eggs
2/3 cup (150g) freshly squeezed lime juice (from 4-5 limes)
2 tablespoons lime zest (from 4-5 limes)
2/3 cup (100g) unbleached, all-purpose flour (this is where I subbed the Matcha powder I replaced 1 tablespoon of flour with one tablespoon matcha... plenty of room to play around here!)
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar for sprinkling on the top.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees Celsius). Line a 8×8″ * square baking pan with a strip of parchment paper (8×14″) that covers the bottom and overlaps on either side. (This is so after it cools, you can pull out the entire pan of lime bars and cut them neatly. You can omit this step completely, though. You don’t even need to butter the pan.)
2. Mix flour and sugar in a food processor. Put cut up butter and pulse until just incorporated. Press dough evenly into 8×8″ square baking pan.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. While it cools, prepare the filling.
4. Whisk all ingredients except for the confectioner’s sugar in a large bowl. Pour into crust. Bake for 30-35 minutes until filling is completely set. Let cool completely. (I help mine along in the freezer for about an hour.) Using the overlapping edges of parchment paper, gently lift the dessert from the pan. Cut into 16 squares. Dust with confectioner’s sugar.

Update 7/15/09: I just made this again last night (without the matcha) and ran into a couple of problems. So I just want to add some tips I learned! As soon as these have cooled remove them from the pan! I got tired and went to bed after pulling the bars out of the oven. It was not until I came home from work the next day that I was able to remove them from the pan and slice... The crust was soggy! and the middle of the bars were cakey. A combo of over baking the filling- I went the whole 35 minutes- and neglect. The taste is still amazing and I managed to eat several even with my mistakes ;). I found a cooks illustrated version for perfect lemon bars maybe I will give them a go!

2 comments:

Carol Peterman said...

I love matcha in desserts. I bet these were tasty even if the color was a bit unconventional.

Lewis said...

I'm helping the folks at Matcha Source Green Tea (www.matchasource.com) introduce their products to bloggers. I really enjoyed your post, which is why I contacted you. If you send us an email at lewis@matchasource.com or info@matchasource.com, we can consider sending some complimentary products. A blog post about us would really be much appreciated. Thanks again for all your help

--Lewis