Saturday, February 28, 2009

Daring Bakers challenge February 2009; Chocolate Valentino cake and Vanilla Ice Cream

The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef. We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.

Here is a true confession... I'm really not a girl who goes bonkers for anything chocolate.
It seems somehow appropriate to me that my first challenge as a Daring Baker would contain chocolate. In fact the recipe only has 3 ingredients... chocolate, butter, and eggs. Hmmm that is a challenge!

The result was fudgey and dense.  I think this is one of those recipes where you really want to use the best chocolate you can find. I used a combination of ghirardelli bitter and semisweet chocolate. I was not floored by this cake. I have read variations on techniques that might be worth trying like baking it in a water bath but really the whole lack of chocolate enthusiasm has kept me from tinkering with this recipe. 

The second part of the challenge was to make ice cream... yep you heard me.. ice cream. Those of you who know me know I work at a company that makes non-dairy ice cream. That means that everyday I am at work I eat ice cream in some stage of creation... EVERYDAY.. I also operate a soft serve machine... then I taste and eat some more... after a full day of mixing, homogenizing, freezing, AND tasting I go home craving things like asparagus or bar- B -qued tofu. weird huh?

So that last paragraph is basically a drawn out excuse of why I did not make any ice cream at home for the challenge. I did, however, make some pretty tasty peanut butter flavored soy ice cream trying out 4 types of peanut butter (the non-salmonella type of pb of course!).  

To see some really tasty looking home made ice cream paired with the Valentino cake be sure to check out the less naughty daring bakers blogs! 

1 comment:

The Bahens said...

I didn't dare admit it in my Daring Bakers post, but I'd rather just make brownies from a mix than this cake. It was good, but not as good as brownies from a box. That's kind of sad.