Friday, February 20, 2009

Cake Slice Bakers: Southern Coconut Cake


This is my first challenge as a new member of The Cake Slice Bakers. I joined this group after purchasing the cook book "Sky High : Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes" by Alicia Huntsman and Peter Wynne.
Ive always admired tall, complicated cakes, but never had the courage to tackle one myself. I'm happy to say I have conquered my fear of layered cakes!

This Southern Coconut Cake was a great intro for me. The layers are filled with the frosting so no additional prep needed to make fillings! I halved the recipe to make a 6 inch cake. This cake was so delicious I could have eaten an 8 inch-er!
The batter came together easily and the recipe was straight forward and easy to follow. There is not as much "hand holding" as in Dorie Greenspan's recipes but the directions are clear and I got great results.

As I said in an earlier post I am the custodian of a 50 pound bag of cake flour and I think having that much cake flour has given me an immortal quality to my cake baking... even if I fail, hey, I have 48 more pounds!



So on to the cake description!
This was baked in 3 pans 6" pans. The layers did not rise very much and the tops were a little sticky due to my oven sucking! The little cake discs were nice and level and easy to build with. I bought new cake pans that I love... yep pan love, sort of like gadget envy! They are Parrish magic line cake pans.
This cake was "just like a cake mix cake" to quote one of my tasters. I'm guessing that is high praise? It was really white with a tender crumb. It was not overly sweet.
I thought the cake was lacking some coconut flavor and I would add some coconut extract next time. Yes, there will be a next time my friends!
The frosting gave me problems. It was more like whipped cream. Very tasty. Very airy and soft. I decided to toast some shredded coconut and throw that around for decoration on the top and in between the layers. The coconut added a nice chewyness to a very soft cake.

A big thank you goes out to Gigi and Katie for creating this awesome baking group. You ladies rock! Be sure to check out other members posts of the southern coconut cake at the Cake Slice Bakers.

The recipe can be found here! (Thank you Steph!)

6 comments:

Gigi said...

Welcome to The Cake Slice! Your Cake came out PERFECT! I love the toasted coconut on top. :)

Jacque said...

I agree on all counts... soft cake, soft icing, more coconut would be nice for those that like coconut.

It was tasty, that's for sure. Yours looks fantastic. I like the toasted coconut :)

Anyway, welcome!

Grace said...

nicely done, katie! i wish i had gotten a chance to make this one, but the recipe is waiting for me the second i find the time. and by the way, my family has those very same plates! :)

TeaLady said...

It looks like a beautiful cake. Did you toast the coconut on top. Great idea.

La Pinche Cocinera said...

I agree with you, easy and delicious cake...

thank you for your comment..=)

The Bahens said...

I have clicked on so many blogs from the cake slice list and you're the first one who actually posted. Congrats! I too had some trouble with the frosting. I think all of the frostings we've made have ended up tasting like whipped cream, no matter what they started out as! I was scrolling through your posts and noticed jars of jam from Thistledown Farms. I live in Eugene too! Nice to meet you. --Melissa