Saturday, December 6, 2008

Pandan


Recently I learned about the flavor of pandan. I have been trying to add this southeast Asian ingredient into my baked goods. The flavor is a cross between coconut and vanilla... well kind of.. really I cant place the flavor which is what makes it so exciting! So this morning I decided to try a coconut rum cake using Dorie Greenspan's recipe for coconut tea cake. I subbed the pandan essence for the vanilla. It's baking as I type and the smell is beginning to fill my kitchen YUM! The photo posted here is from my first attempt last week. I did not have any coconut to add and thought the recommended 2 cups of sugar made the cake way too sweet. This time I toasted some sweetened shredded coconut and reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 cups. I will post new pics when I get them.  

1 comment:

Alex Rushmer said...

pandan has a really wonderful flavour. And such a vibrant colour too.